Careers > Senior Estimator/Estimator
Join our dynamic and innovative construction team at Flannery Construction. We have an exciting opportunity for an experienced Construction Estimator. This full-time position offers an opportunity to use your exceptional construction knowledge, technical skills, and communication skills to provide detailed cost information and develop feasible and profitable construction budgets.
- Achieve excellent understanding of bid documents to ensure knowledge of project and bidding requirements.
- Prepare detailed cost estimates in accordance with the bid documents, perform quantity take-offs, determine resource requirements, and develop production rates.
- Make accurate quantity surveys and estimate the cost of materials, labor, equipment, and subcontractors’ work, ensuring that all areas have been accounted for prior to submitting the estimate.
- Investigate conditions at the jobsite prior to bid to understand and evaluate site accessibility, underground conditions and any condition that would affect construction methods and costs.
- Understand geotechnical, Phase 1, Phase 2, and RAP environmental reports; ability to utilize these documents to analyze risk assessment and budget appropriately.
- Solicit multiple quotations for subcontractors, materials, equipment, and other service providers.
- Ability to asses labor hours for demolition, rough and finish carpentry, and drywall for renovation and new construction.
- Work closely with owners, architects, and design professionals to provide clarification and respond to trade partner and project manager questions.
- Review bids received and provide initial qualification of trade partner proposal for completeness.
- Build accurate cost estimate spreadsheets at a variety of design levels.
- Perform cost leveling analysis with adequate time and preparation to make revisions or adjustments as needed prior to presenting completed and polished estimates to clients.
- Provide input for Value Engineering and Alternates as required.
- Ensure site staffing, mobilization, distributions, and constructability issues are properly addressed in each construction budget.
- Follow up with project managers, site superintendents and accounting to monitor budget accuracy.
- Build and maintain working internal cost history data base.
- Stay current with code changes and ADA requirements.
TRADE PARTNER RELATIONSHIPS
- Develop new trade partner relationships.
- Maintain database of current trade partners and their contact information.
- Meet all Utilization Requirements consistent with project, governmental agencies, and company requirements. Understand and adhere to Prevailing Wage Rate and Affirmative Action requirements.
- Work with appropriate team members to develop a plan that ensures that all Utilization goals are known and met.
DESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- 3 – 10+ years of estimating experience in commercial building and multi-family housing is preferred.
- General contracting experience preferred.
- Ability to manage multiple estimates at different phases from preconstruction through negotiated and/or hard bids.
- Excellent computer skills: Microsoft Office Suite, Microsoft Project, ISQFT, Smart Bid, Bluebeam, On-Screen Takeoff.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Positive and professional attitude, strong work ethic, self-starter, team player.
ABOUT FLANNERY CONSTRUCTION
We value clear communication and strong relationships, a philosophy that guides our work. We take pride in our high ethical standards, realistic estimates, and versatile, diverse team. Flannery Construction has served the Twin Cities metropolitan area and western Wisconsin for 40 years. Since the company was founded in 1980, we have been committed to working together with our clients and key Stakeholders to build strong communities – one project at a time.
We offer a full range of services with expertise in all sectors of the construction industry. Areas of focus include Multi‐Family Housing, Commercial, Renovation, Historic, Restaurants, Healthcare, Public/Non‐Profit and Sustainable/Green. Flannery Construction is a woman owned and led company.